Thursday, July 23, 2009

I also have trouble with writing. I have great thoughts in my head, but it is so hard to get them on paper. I struggle to answer essay questions and writing reports is very painful. I usually just put down as little as possible, just to get it done. I know this will not get me good grades, but it was way too frustrating. Actually, I am telling my mom my thoughts now and she is typing my blog for me. Last summer, I tried the Dragon Speaking program. It is voice activated software that turned out to be the perfect answer for me. It took a while to set it up to recognize my voice and it is still not perfect, but what a difference it has made in my writing. I handed in a report to my teacher that I did using this program. She could not believe that I did it. I had written 5 paragraphs, which was the longest story in my class. It still had alot of grammar and punctuation errors, because that is very hard for me to do also. My school was so supportive and actually looked into me using the program to take the writing part of my state tests. It didn't work out last year, but it is possible that I could use it this year. The chance to actually do well on the state tests did not seem possible. I would recommend this program, or one like it to anyone that has trouble writing down their ideas. It lets you be who you really are. I am still not close to considering a job as a writer, but I don't dread writing assignments any more.

1 comment:

  1. My son finds writing the worse thing of all.It is very hard to get him to start writing and once he does he writes very little.He hates checking his writing.As a result I can understand your difficulties...Glad to hear the Dragon Speaking program helps a bit....

    ReplyDelete